"Private note to be shared"

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Upgrading Windows to it's newest version doesn't always end up the way you expected. I'm not talking about the performance issue or other things this upgrade offers but the Windows activation that suddenly gone and have to be reactivated.  The worst part is that you don't have the Windows Product key since you bought your computer/laptop with Windows pre-installed. Now I'm gonna narrow it a bit. The Windows version I'm talking about is the Windows 8.1.

Not long ago I managed to upgrade my Single Language Windows 8 to 8.1. I gotta admit that it's nice to have the start button back or at least that was the biggest difference I noticed the first time I logged in to my Windows 8.1. Viewed my computer's properties for a couple of times until I realized, surprise surprise... the Windows is not activated. Done some trials and errors until I found that the Windows I use isn't retail but an OEM version which has it's OEM Windows key stored in BIOS. Why OEM key? because the current product key cannot be used to activate Windows 8.1 

You can use RWeverything software, but it takes time. My cheap low specification laptop keeps freezing and end up having "out of memory" message each time I  use the software.
So in the end, after some search with google, here's what I did

  1. Download this zip file, password to extract is corozilla. It contains a vbScript. Don't worry, it's safe.
  2. Run the Script and you'll see a pop up message like this.
  3. The script will ask you whether you want to save the keys into a text file, click Yes. The saved file is located in the same folder where the vbScript is. 
  4. Installed Key is the current key used to install Windows 8.1. OEM Key is your basic key.
  5. Use the OEM key to activate your new Windows 8.1
This method works on Sony Vaio's Laptop and possibly will do just as good with any other brands upgraded from Windows 8 OEM.

0 comments:

Post a Comment